Walter F. Pizzi Scholarship Fund
THE WALTER F. PIZZI, M.D
EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES SCHOLARSHIP
In Remembrance of Walter & Lillian Pizzi
The Walter F. Pizzi EMS Scholarship was developed to ensure the world’s largest EMS System is served by highly trained EMS professionals. This award is given to EMS providers who have demonstrated exceptional dedication to patient care for the purpose of advancing his or her certification to the Paramedic level. The scholarship amount is for $3,000 to be used to assist in tuition payment for a New York State certified Paramedic program.
In the 1960’s, Walter F. Pizzi, MD, FACS, a trauma surgeon, was initially motivated to improve the delivery of emergency care while doing a 7-year surgical residency at Bellevue Hospital. Dr. Pizzi saw firsthand that pre-hospital care was non-existent and correcting it in NYC, with a population of eight million, could save thousands of lives. In the 1970’s, Dr. Pizzi, along with other concerned physicians, nurses and health care advocates, founded The Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC, which was unanimously designated by State Law in 1976 to coordinate all emergency medical services in NYC. Dr. Pizzi served as its chairman for 32 years and today’s EMS system is a testament to Dr. Pizzi’s solid leadership and steadfast vision.
The Walter F. Pizzi EMS Scholarship was developed as a continuation of that movement as part of an ongoing effort to ensure the world’s largest EMS System is served by some of the most highly trained EMS professionals today. This award will be given to an EMS provider who has demonstrated exceptional dedication to patient care for the purpose of advancing his or her certification to the Paramedic level. The scholarship amount is for $3,000 to be used to assist in tuition payment for a New York State certified Paramedic program.
The scholarship application period begins February 1st with a April 30th application deadline. Awardees are announced in the first week of May. Scholarships are awarded during the NYC REMSCO EMS Week Awards & Recognition Ceremony. Held annually on the Monday kicking off National EMS Week (3rd Week of May).
In order to be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements and submit all of the application documents outlined below. The 2022 Application period will begin February 1st, 2022, the Deadline to submit is April 30th, 2022.
- The Scholarship Application Form must be completed online: Application Period Opens February 1st
- A letter of recommendation from the Chief Operations Officer/Supervisor of the EMS Agency where the applicant is currently working/volunteering.
- Letter must be completed on a company letterhead, including a contact number/email.
- Letter must affirm that the applicant is a current employee/member of the EMS Agency and the year the member started working/volunteering for the agency.
- A short typed essay from the applicant on why he/she wishes to become a Paramedic, and how he/she will use the Paramedic certification to better his/her community.
- Essays should be a minimum of 500 words, but no more than 1,200 and should not be accompanied by any attachments.
Check back on this page on February 1st, 2022 to access the application!
Donate to the Walter F. Pizzi Scholarship Fund!
The Walter F. Pizzi scholarship fund is only possible through the generous donations of EMS supporters like yourself. Donations allow the fund to issue additional scholarships to worthy EMS providers each year!
Show your support by donating to the Walter F. Pizzi Fund today!